Friday, July 20, 2007

Water Bed

I have a water bed, and I'm moving into my new apartment sometime tomorrow, which means I need to make the water come out of the bed. The mattress bladder, when filled with water, weighs probably 600-1000 lbs and is sort of unwieldy.

The bed came with a panoply of pumps, faucet adapters, and manuals, but so far I can't remove the water. There is some kind of pump I'm trying to use, which uses what I assume to be Bernoulli's Principle, by hooking up to an ordinary faucet, and also to a hose which is connected to the water bed. The faucet is turned on, a siphon is started, and in 1-2 hours the bed is emptied. In theory. I've yet to make it work, for reasons I can't pretend to fathom. It's very possible--likely--that I'll fail utterly, have to call my friend Travis to help me (because he can make his hands do things), and be forced to find alternate sleeping arrangements. I'm on what will be my final attempt for the night right now, and the prospects are bad.

Watch this space.

UPDATE 1:20 AM

I thought the problem might be that the hose I bought at Wal-Mart has one of those awful plastic caps on it, that turns independently of the metal end and has a purpose I'm not familiar with. It might have been breaking the seal, so that the hose wasn't airtight, making it useless for siphoning. I pried a rubber gasket out of one of the pumps I wasn't using, and jammed it in there, hopefully to create a seal. This time when I started the pump, the hose began to wiggle slightly at my end. A good sign? I don't know!

UPDATE 3:00 AM

It didn't mean anything--I am completely incapable of siphoning anything out of this water bed. Total failure is the result of tonight's efforts. Hopefully, tomorrow will yield more.

UPDATE 2:38 PM
I managed to make it work, actually. It ran from about 4:30 AM to 6:30 AM and got it drained! Hoorah.

1 comment:

Katy Baggs said...

"the hose began to wiggle slightly at my end"

HOTT.


I enjoyed this entry and the last. I guess you started moving a couple of days ago, I hope it went well.

Katy