Thursday, July 19, 2007

Personal Data

I had my first day at the University Parking Ramp, wherein I sat in a box for 6 1/2 hours taking tickets and reading "Fast Food Nation" while my training instructor read Harry Potter and occasionally told me what to do. It was definitely the easiest job I've ever had.

The only significant occurrences follow--

Crazy Troll-woman
Around the middle of my shift a woman came through in an older model Buick bearing handicapped plates, and wearing a neck brace. I had a premonition that something would go wrong, because when she handed me her ticket to scan, it had no blue stick affixed to it. When a patient parks in the Hospital Ramp and then undergoes medical treatment of some kind at the Hospital, they can have their ramp ticket validated with a blue sticker, which means their parking is free. About 90% of the customers had these stickers. This woman, though clearly a patient, did not. On a side note, this woman was high up in the running for ugliest woman I've ever seen. Not so much obese as bloated, with maybe four teeth, but with plenty of acne scarring and warts to make up for the deficit.

I assumed there would be trouble, but I could not have anticipated what occurred. She gave me the ticket, I put it in the machine.

"One dollar fifty-five cents, please," I said.

"NO! NO! I don't pay anything! I just came from PT!" she was shouting from the word 'please,' maybe just an angry person.

I politely explained, "If you're a patient at the hospital you have to have your ticket validated in the hospital. Otherwise you have to pay money. Sorry."

"NO! I'm not paying. Just call up... just call up to physical therapy! They'll tell you! I don't have a dollar!"

My training guy took over at this time. "Well, they can't really help you with this over the phone, you need a little sticker. If you go back up there, they can give you one, and then we'll be okay."

"I--I can't go back up there! I'm handicapped! You're not supposed to treat handicapped people this way!"

"I'm sorry, we can't let you leave without $1.55."

"JUST CALL THE PT!"

"We don't have their number. You can fill out a form and we can bill you, or you can dispute it, whatever."

Unfortunately this form requires that they give their social security number for some reason, and I can tell from her demeanor that this woman does not give out her soc. Sure enough, she gets angry at the mere suggestion, probably believing us to be identity thieves, and she yells at us some more.

Training guy: "Let me just call my supervisor."

"Yeah, you call him so I can talk to him!"

My training guy calls the supervisor, but sort of spazzes out dialing so he has to try a couple of times. Once he gets the guy, the woman angrily demands to talk to our supervisor, so she gets the handset.

"Hi? Who--! Who is this?! What's your name?! What's your name?! What's your name!?"

(at this point the guy on the other end, not actually the supervisor yet, apparently believed that my training guy was putting him on with a practical joke. The supervisor was put on the line quickly, once it was determined to be otherwise).

The woman's conversation continued. "These two boys in your booth are being belligerent and telling me I have to pay a dollar because I don't have a sticker and they are VERY RUDE and I want them both written up." To my training guy: "What's your name?!"

He elected to give her only his cashier number, which was all she needed anyway. "I want him written up! Are you--are you writing him up right now! Because you should be, he's been rude and belligerent!"

A pause. "What--What's your name?! I'm going to write it down so I can call your supervisor! Let me... let me get something to write it down with!" A minute's search for a pen, and her silent accomplice in the passenger seat, also apparently handicapped, takes the name down. "All of you are gonna be out of a job!" the woman yells.

At this point the supervisor apparently informs her that we were completely correct and she can't leave the lot without paying. She gives us back the phone, which now smells of cigarettes and body odor, and reiterates her refusal to pay.

I should mention that, being as it's my first day and I'm being trained, I have no responsibility for this situation and I'm able to observe it. I am close to laughter for most of the ordeal, and when she loudly demands that we call the administrator of the hospital and "whoever runs this shitty parking ramp" I wink and quietly suggest to my coworker that we also call the President of the University for her.

At this point we're within an ace of having to call the police on her, because she won't pay and keeps demanding to leave, and in America we tend to exchange money for goods and services, as opposed to just stealing. Not to mention the fact that she is "belligerent," to borrow a word.

But she heads us off at the pass by yelling at passers-by to bum money from, which eventually gets a result, and she's able to leave on somebody else's $1.55. My trainer said that this was the worst encounter he had experienced in 3 years at the parking ramps.

Then later on about 8:00 PM it began to rain like the sky was falling and the county came under a tornado warning, so I got to hang out in a basement and then go home 30 minutes early.

A good first day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the story — except for the references to the woman's being ugly — her weight, acne, and warts. Were those details necessary to your tale? Having myself become old, fat, and ugly over time, I'm now more sensitive to such assessments than I used to be.

Bob

evan schenck said...

No, it's probably just an unfair statement on my part because I was angry with this woman. Recalling that kind of situation scarcely brings out the best in me.